to Start a New Thread

Make Every Month Nutrition Month

Sandbox S. ASEBP - @asebp.ab.ca | March 20 2018 3:23 PM
1444 Views | 2 Replies

Every year in March, the Nutrition Month campaign provides communities across Canada with guidance and information on promoting healthy eating. Since healthy eating, and its initiatives, are useful at any time, how do you incorporate nutritional wellness throughout the year?

Stéphanie C. ASEBP - @asebp.ab.ca | March 21 2018 11:42 AM

Since Nutrition Month’s campaign theme changes annually, a great start is to build off of that theme. This year’s theme is Unlock the Potential of Food and the goal is to “realize the potential of food to fuel, discover, prevent, heal and bring us together.” You can find numerous resources to promote the campaign on the Dietitians of Canada website, all of which can be incorporated easily into your initiative such as recipes, fact sheets and posters you can order.

Additionally, you can also:

- Spread the word by taking a picture with the campaign's "Take the Challenge" certificate and share it on social media with the hashtag #NutritionMonth

- Visit Alberta Health Services' Healthy Eating Starts Here website

- If possible, reach out to your school dietitian as they can provide support, training and share resources

- Promote the nutrition counselling services through your Employee and Family Assistance Program

- Engage with other health champions across the province on the Sandbox forum. The forum's a great way to learn from other's experience and also share ideas and initiatives happening in your school and workplace

Kylie M. ASEBP - @asebp.ab.ca | February 25 2019 10:50 AM

I personally love nutrition all the time but since March is Nutrition Month, it’s an even better time to give our healthy eating efforts a little extra TLC!

I’ve heard from wellness champs across Alberta, so now I’m sharing some of my favourite ideas for promoting healthy eating at work:

Eat Together. From soup group to salad club and every potluck in between, there are a ton of ways that champs are leading creative group lunches in the staff room. This is such a great way to be social while enjoying a healthy meal! One wellness champion told me that on Fridays, each staff member who wants to participate brings a vegetable or salad fixing to share, and voilà, a beautiful assortment is ready for everyone to enjoy a salad together.

Learn Together. To promote healthy eating, consider sharing ways to Unlock the Potential of Food by emailing handy factsheets or printing and posting them in the staffroom. Or, consider starting the next staff meeting with a conversation about how your team could create a work environment that supports healthy eating habits.

Switch up the Celebrations. Successfully completing busy times of year at work—which could be anything from finishing report cards to organizing staff orientation sessions to helping with staff and student holiday activities—is sometimes celebrated with a box of doughnuts in the staff room. Instead of doughnuts, try putting a healthy spin on celebrating the good times together by bringing in fruit, veggie or cheese trays!

Have you and your colleagues tried anything similar? Share your stories of creativity and food fun!