to Start a New Thread

The Gratitude Attitude

Sandbox S. ASEBP - @asebp.ab.ca | November 29 2017 9:40 AM
2211 Views | 3 Replies

While many of us expect the holiday season to be a happy, festive time, this time of year can be very stressful and overwhelming for some. As research suggests that expressing gratitude can lift spirits and is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness, what are some ways you or your workplace have incorporated gratitude into your day?

Janelle P. ASEBP - @asebp.ab.ca | November 30 2017 12:22 PM

I recently facilitated a professional development session on self-care, where a leader within a school jurisdiction shared an activity that he brought to his staff during a time where work-related stress was high and staff morale was low. The activity focused on gratitude and resulted in greater happiness and resiliency amonst staff. Here is a brief overview of the activity he shared:

1. Set up a gratitude box (e.g. shoebox, jar, etc.) in a staff room or common area where staff can write down a positive moment from their day.

2. Encourage staff to contribute at least one moment daily as this is a great way to take a break from a negative or difficult moment and practice     gratitude by thinking about one positive event from the day.

3. Bring out the gratitude box and share some of the moments at the beginning of each staff meeting.

4. Invite staff to open the box when they need a positive break in their day.

If that's not for you, Harvard Health Publishing's HEALTHbeat has a ton of other ideas on ways to cultivate gratitude.

Megan H. ASEBP - @asebp.ab.ca | November 20 2018 10:00 AM

I adore that idea, Janelle! Has anyone else out there given it a go? I would love to hear how it went.

Bringing gratitude to work not only boosts the positive vibe of a workplace culture, it also brings staff together to cultivate caring and support. The more we get to know each other (our strengths, weaknesses and more!), the easier our work becomes. This creates a solid foundation to build on and use when addressing any challenges that may come our way. 

How can you nurture workplace gratitude? There’s lots of ways! I’ve found that co-workers bond well when they build a gratitude tree. What’s that, you ask? Well, it’s a simple but effective activity that can be found right here on The Sandbox.  

Have other ways you and your co-workers used gratitude to uplift your workplace culture? Share it below!

Leslie W. ASEBP - @asebp.ab.ca | September 16 2019 1:22 PM

I have a fun example of a time when gratitude and recognition uplifted my workplace culture (before I’d even heard of The National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace or the standard on Recognition and Reward)!

It all started when a survey showed that staff felt our workplace did a good job at formal recognition (like annual years of service) but lacked informal recognition and appreciation of day-to-day achievements. My manager asked our team to brainstorm ways we could improve this, and we came up with the idea to add a standing item to our team meetings called “Acts of Brilliance.” This was a time when anyone, no matter their role, could recognize someone for their actions—big or small. It was amazing to hear how we impacted each other’s lives! Since it was the last thing we did at each meeting, we always walked away feeling more positive, valued and cohesive than when we walked in.

With the new school year starting up, it’s a perfect time to plan how your workplace can focus on recognition. If recognition is already part of your workplace culture, share your very own “Acts of Brilliance” below—you may just inspire someone else!