to Start a New Thread
Subscribe to this Thread

Promoting a Positive Social Environment

Sandbox S. ASEBP | September 29 2017 8:47 AM
1587 Views | 2 Replies

How does your workplace promote a comfortable, supportive and friendly environment for the well-being of all its employees? Are there specific events or daily activities that you and/or your colleagues practice to support everyone’s mental health?

Peggy S. ASEBP | October 6 2017 10:52 AM

I find that a great place to start is here on The Sandbox! In addition to learning about the benefits of positive social environments, you can get a ton of great ideas through the blogs and resources on psychologically safe and healthy workplaces—two great ones being a blog by Brian Torrance and another by Dr. Candace Nykiforuk. There is also an abundance of resources on promoting positive mental health in the school environment on the Canadian Mental Health Association’s website.

Furthermore, if you’re wanting to start an initiative that benefits both staff and students or innovate further with your school’s positive social environment, consider applying for a grant through the new WellAhead Student Wellbeing for Systems Change Fund or from The Alberta Healthy School Community Wellness Fund.

Feel free to chime in if you have other success stories on what has worked well in your school district.

Krista S. ASEBP | March 20 2019 11:37 AM

Like Peggy said, digging in The Sandbox can really spark some neat ideas for creating and maintaining a workplace environment that feels just like home—comfortable, supportive and friendly.

For me, taking a deeper look at my home environment helped me translate one key element over to my workplace: play! We see kids playing all the time, whether it’s in a playroom, on a court, in the classroom or on a field at recess. So why is it that I (and probably many of you) need to keep reminding myself of its importance in the workplace?

Knowing that play helps to relieve stress, foster relationships and increase creativity, I’ve made it one of my goals to intentionally infuse it into my work. Every Monday, I send a weekly update to my team that now ends with a playful line wishing everyone a “Happy National ____ Day!” You’d be shocked at how many unique ‘days’ are out there—everything from National Oatmeal Nut Waffle Day to National Napping Day! It’s amazing the conversation that this simple sentence starts and the amount of laughs it creates.

How do you infuse play in your workplace?