I came across an article on this topic that offered many thoughtful ways to get the ball rolling.
From memorable quotes like, “self-care requires self-awareness; knowing what we need in every moment of the day, week, month and acting upon it as best as we can” to great tips, there were a lot of takeaways.
Here are some highlights from the article that stuck with me and are easy to apply:
1. Encourage staff to take regular lunch breaks away from their desks
2. Encourage staff to accept that getting everything done in a day is sometimes impossible
3. Create a healthy email policy—be mindful of the burden of emails on staff and implement ways to reduce it in order to increase productivity and efficiency
4. Practice what you preach—be a positive self-care role model
5. Share self-care tips with staff through internal communications and invite colleagues to share what has worked for them
Another great read is the Being Self-Care Aware blog by The Sandbox Staff.