As health champions, most of our focus ends up being on other people. After all, isn’t that how we create a healthy workplace? But stop for a moment and think about the last time you spent some of your workplace wellness-focused energy on doing something just for you. If you’re having a hard time remembering, then this is the blog for you.
Self-care is possibly one of the most important parts of leading a healthy life—and the most overlooked. It’s so important for you, as a wellness champion, to model good self-care habits to the rest of your workplace so they know what these healthy habits look like.
While The Sandbox is a resource for healthy workplaces, there’s still a TON of content that’s applicable to self-care. If you need some ideas on how you can fit some ‘me time’ into your day, check out these articles and resources:
- Switch off the Auto-Pilot! Something as simple as allowing yourself a few minutes to transition from one environment to another will greatly improve how you’re able to deal with different demands and situations.
- This Might be a Stretch but… Stretching is a great way to get some much-needed self-care. We all know getting movement into our day can seem like an insurmountable task but breaking it up into small chunks makes it a little less daunting.
- Practice Yoga. This resource is perfect whether you’re just starting out or have been practicing for years. Download it to a mobile device or print it out and keep it handy so when you think you might need a break, you have something accessible.
- I Don’t Want to Work. If you ever find yourself needing a reminder about why it’s important to take a break from work, this is a great one.
- Consider Mindfulness. Put this up in your office, at your desk, at home or even in a break room to remind yourself and others that practicing mindfulness is a simple way to practice self-care.
Taking care of you helps you take care of others—sounds cliché but it’s true! Whether it’s a walk on your own, taking 10 minutes to meet up with a friend for coffee or planning a date night with your significant other, make it a priority to do something just for you and encourage others in your workplace to do the same.
Have a cool self-care idea that works in your workplace? Share it here or on The Sandbox forum!