Chances are you have seen your family doctor at some point in the past year and may have been prescribed a medication. Maybe you needed an antibiotic, pain relievers, blood pressure medication or just needed a renewal to your medications. Anything missing from that list?
A Prescription to Move
Do you think a prescription to move should be included as a common medical treatment? Do you consider physical activity to be medicine? Physical inactivity is the fourth leading risk factor for global mortality, which translates to approximately 3.2 million deaths annually. The inactivity epidemic is more concerning than the obesity epidemic. Our culture, sedentary work habits and non-existent leisure times have outpaced our physiological evolution as humans designed to move.
This might sound scary, but don’t fret—we have the perfect FUN and FREE medication for you! Primary Care Networks (PCNs) have been working together to provide a platform to assist communities in participating in quality physical activity programs and opportunities. PCNs are groups of local family doctors working with health care teams to enhance the quality of care and improve the quality of life for the patients in our communities.
Get Out, Get Active
2016 will mark our third annual Get Out, Get Active (GOGA) challenge and we would like to invite you to join us while we explore the beautiful, tropical landscape of Costa Rica!
GOGA is a six-week activity challenge where you track of your physical activity. You then enter either your steps (by using a pedometer or other tracking device or app on your phone) or activity (like swimming, dancing, basketball, etc.) online as you “virtually” walk on a Costa Rican adventure with your team.
Participating is easy and free! Here’s a few tips on how to make the most out of your GOGA challenge:
- Register yourself on the GOGA website. Registration opens March 14, 2016.
- Download your 6-week activity program guide to help you get in the swing of things.
- Create or join a team to help you explore Costa Rica.
- Choose a method of step tracking (pedometer, app, fitbit, etc.).
- GET OUT AND GET ACTIVE! Try walking, running, swimming, dancing or anything else you can think of to log those steps.
- Be sure to enter your activity/steps at least weekly during the challenge: April 25 – June 5, 2016 to be eligible to win some awesome prizes!
- Celebrate your activity level, learn more about Costa Rica and enjoy all the positive benefits of getting out and getting active!